Weibo Statistics: Q2 2017 Financial Report
On August 9th, Weibo released its financial report for Q2 2017, revealing the latest Weibo statistics.
By the end of June this year, the number of monthly active users (MAU) and daily active users (DAU) on Weibo reached 361 million and 159 million respectively. In terms of financials, their total revenue reached 1.73 billion RMB, with a total profit of 592 million RMB.
Following positive earnings, Weibo’s stock price rose again on August 9th, with its stock value exceeding 20 billion USD for the first time.
Now let’s take a closer look:
1. Core statistics Weibo statistics
● Monthly active users: 361 million
● Daily active users: 159 million
● Financial revenue: 1.73 billion RMB
● Total profit: 592 million RMB
2. The number of active users on Weibo has been on a steady increase
a. Monthly active users (MAU): 361 million
● Year-on-year increase: 79 million
● The proportion of those who access Weibo via mobile devices: 92% (with a slight growth of 1% compared with the last quarter)
● The number of monthly active users has been increasing steadily, from 282 million in Q2 2016 to 361 million in Q2 2017.
b. Daily active users (DAU): 159 million
● Year-on-year increase: 33 million
3. Financial revenue witnessed accelerated growth Weibo statistics
● Revenue: 1.73 billion RMB (with year-on-year growth of 79%)
● Total profit: 592 million RMB (with year-on-year growth of 152%)
● Revenue has seen a remarkable increase, from 669 million RMB in Q2 2015 to 73 billion RMB in Q2 2017.
4. Weibo has been committed to gaining more users and doing so more efficiently
a. Deepened strategic cooperation with domestic smartphone manufacturers
● There has been year-on-year growth of 74% in the number of monthly active users that access Weibo with domestic smartphones.
● Of all the domestic smartphone brands, the number of monthly active users that access Weibo with an OPPO smartphone has seen a year-on-year rise of 130%, compared with a 90% rise in Huawei smartphone users.
b. Comprehensive partnerships with TV stations and online video platforms
● Year-on-year growth in the total number of views of variety shows was at 381%, compared with 490% for TV series.
c. Continuing to roll out and improve individualized news feeds that cater to each user’s interests
● The number of monthly active users exposed to the personalized feeds now exceeds 200 million.
● As a result, users refresh their information feeds twice as much as they did a year ago in order to check new posts.
5. Weibo has been striving to build a content ecosystem with diversified content
a. Short videos have become very popular
● Average daily views of short videos in June have increased 159% compared to last year.
● Top content producers have increased the number of short videos they publish by over 100%.
● The number of monthly active users of Weibo Story has surpassed 30 million.
b. Weibo is also encouraging content creators to produce more material for its most popular content categories.
● There are 23 content categories that have monthly views exceeding 10 billion.
● The total views for the top content creators on Weibo is 55% higher than last year.
6. Weibo is unlocking its value in social media marketing
a. Brand advertisements
● Year-on-year growth in revenue from this type of advertising reached 88%.
● 9 sponsoring brands for Ode to Joy 2 (@电视剧欢乐颂, a television series that aired from May to June 2017) launched their marketing campaigns on Weibo.
● Yili (@伊利), a Chinese dairy product manufacturer got strong exposure on Weibo with 6.9 billion views.
b. Small and medium-sized businesses and valued added service ads
● There was 85% year-on-year growth in revenue from this type of advertising.
● There’s also a remarkable increase in the number of clients in the O2O arena and the gaming industry.
c. Value-added services
● There was 86% year-on-year growth in revenue from this type of advertising.
● The number of paid VIP users on Weibo has reached 4.3 million.
What do you think of Weibo’s recent performance? Do you think Weibo have the potentials you are looking for in terms of social media marketing? Leave a comment below. We’d be happy to answer any questions you may have. Weibo statistics
To get deeper insights of Chinese social media marketing and utilize it to serve your business, join ChoZan, a training and resources platform for Chinese social media marketers. Please follow our official WeChat account to get more updated about the latest news, feature updates and case studies.