This year, Alibaba’s Double 11 Global Shopping Festival set a new record in its total gross merchandise volume (GMV) again. The total amount of GMV processed by Alipay reached over US$ 25.3 billion, a whopping increase of 39% compared with 2016. Below let’s look at the latest statistics in details:
↑ Source: 2017 Double 11 Highlights from Alizila
● Total GMV settled through Alipay reached over US$ 25.3 billion (168.2 billion RMB), a whopping increase of 39% compared with 2016.
● Mobile engagement was rather remarkable. Total mobile GMV represented approximately 90% of total GMV, compared to 82% in 2016.
● Alibaba Cloud processed 325,000 orders per second at peak.
● Alipay processed more than 48 billion payment transactions in total, with a year-on-year growth of 41%, and processed 256,000 transactions per second at peak, which is 2.1 times more than last year.
● Cainiao Network processed more than 812 million delivery orders on Alibaba’s China retail marketplaces and AliExpress, compared to 657 million in 2016.
Also, let’s look at the global cross-border e-commerce highlights of this year’s Double 11 Shopping Festival:
● Over 60,000 international brands and merchants participated in this year’s Double 11 Shopping Festival.
● There are 225 countries and regions with completed cross-border transactions.
● Alipay has by now covered more than 200 countries and regions, and partnered with over 250 overseas financial institutions. the number of supported settlement currencies on Alipay has reached 27.
● Cross-border logistics services have covered 224 countries and regions, with 231 cross-border warehouses and 89 cross-border logistics partners.
↑ Source: Video published by Taobao on Weibo/Miaopai.
● Top countries/regions selling to China by GMV include: Japan, U.S., Australia, Germany and Korea.
● Top countries/regions buying from China by GMV include: Russia, Hong Kong, U.S., Taiwan and Australia.
● Top international destinations for Chinese tourists: Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Korea.
● Most popular imported brands bought by Chinese consumers: Swisse, Aptamil, Kao/Merries, Moony, BioIsland.
● Most popular export product categories from China: smartphones, wool coats, knitwear, one-piece dresses and hoodies.
This year, more than 140,000 brands participated in Alibaba’s Double 11 Global Shopping Festival, offering 15 million quality products. More than 60,000 international brands offered popular items from authentic autographed sports memorabilia to fresh foods and produced to half a billion Chinese consumers. Also, over 600 million consumers in Southeast Asia could access “Taobao Collection”, a selection of leading products from the world’s largest online marketplace, via the region’s leading e-commerce player Lazada.
As for local businesses, more than one million merchants utilized various online-offline integrations to enhance merchant operations and create exciting engaging consumer experiences. In addition, over 1,000 brands converted more than 100,000 physical locations into “smart stores,” 600,000 LST corner stores and 30,000 Rural Taobao Service Centers.
Regarding logistics services, it’s estimated by Cainiao, a 51%-owned logistics affiliate of Alibaba Group, that 3 million logistics personnel would deliver over 1 billion packages. Moreover, Alibaba’s logistics partners will launch chartered flight delivery services from over 10 countries in North America, Europe and Asia.
To get deeper insights into Chinese social media marketing and utilizing it to serve your business, join ChoZan, a training and resources platform for Chinese social media marketers. Please follow our official WeChat account to get more updates about the latest news, feature updates and case studies.