1. Alibaba posts first operating loss as a public company. (CNBC)
2. Alibaba’s annual active consumers on its China retail marketplaces reached 811 million for the year ended March 31. Online physical goods GMV, excluding unpaid orders, grew 33% YoY in Q1. (China Internet Watch)
3. Bilibili’s MAUs reached 223.3 million (up 30%) and mobile MAUs reached 208.5 million in Q1 2021. (China Internet Watch)
4. China’s antitrust watchdog ordered Didi Chuxing, Meituan and 8 other on-demand transport companies to stop arbitrary price hikes, unfair treatment of drivers and more. (Bloomberg)
5. China successfully landed a rover on Mars, becoming the second country to do so after the US. (Nikkei Asia)
6. Ant Group affiliate MYbank joins China’s digital yuan trials, becoming one of the first major privately run businesses to work with China’s digital currency trials. (KrAsia)
7. Chinese mainland’s population has hit 1.412 billion, growing an annual average of 0.53% over the past decade, latest census data shows. (China Daily)
8. China fines Alibaba and Tencent backed online education firms for misleading consumers. (Reuters)
If you like these weekly digests — let us know below by giving this article a 5 star.
✅ You can now follow #ashleytalks on LinkedIn for daily insights on China.
#china #ecommerce #digitalmarketing #consumerbehaviour #marketingdigital #socialmediamarketing #marketing #socialmedia#contentmarketing
Check out our range of FREE resources of blogs, mini books and reports to see our latest insights on Chinese consumers and marketing in China. Contact us if you would like to get in touch to discuss your China strategy.